Coconut & Chocolate Pies

Coconut & Chocolate Pies
Made w/Double Filling & Mile High Meringue

Friday, October 8, 2010

Well, we didn't end up eating leftovers after all.  You just can't beat a good Old Fashioned Cheeseburger.  That sounded sooooooooo good, so Cheeseburgers with Fries were the hot item tonight.  It is almost impossible to find a good Cheeseburger now days.  These fast food restauants try to call them Cheeseburgers, but they aren't anywhere close to what a real Cheeseburger is!  They use this flimsy buns, that are usually so thin you can read a newspaper through them, or that is all you get...bun!  If you are lucky they will throw a little lettuce and a couple of pickles on it and add some kind of funky sauce they call a "secret"!  Ok....secret !!  The sauce turns out to be something similar to Thousand Island salad dressing, but who really knows what's in that stuff !  Then if you really want to get fancy, they will even add what they call "bacon or mushrooms" too.  Another thing that just gets my goat is, it makes no difference if you order mayo, mustard or ketchup, they only put it on one side of the bun !  Now, I'm here to tell ya, when I say I want mayo, mustard or ketchup, I want to taste it !  They squirt about a tablespoon of it on one side of the bun and that's it !  So, my definition of a Cheeseburger is  a far cry from what a real Cheeseburger really is.  I can remember as a child when Mama and Daddy would take us kids out to eat, which wasn't very often, I assure you,  we would always order a Cheeseburger. Those Cheeseburgers were what a real Cheeseburger is supposed to taste like.  I can still remember eating one of those things and having the juices run down your arm, to your elbow but oh my gosh, were they ever good.  Maybe they seemed so good because we didn't get to go out to eat very often so that was a real treat, and we just thought they were good! LOL.  Either way, I remember them being good!  If we really felt "up town" as my Mama called it, we got to go to the A & W Rootbeer stand and get not only a good burger, but we got those little frosty Rootbeer mugs that had the frost both inside and outside of the mug.  They used to give the kids a free little mug full of rootbeer for free until we reached the age of 12, I think.  I'm sure that is why Mama and Daddy took us to A & W, the Rootbeer was free and that was a real bonus for us!  Then if one of us had a birthday, we got an even better Rootbeer!  It had vanilla ice cream in it.....a float......Yeahhhhhhhhh !!  Isn't it funny how we remember little things like that in our childhood. Of course it wasn't a little thing to us then, that was a big deal for us !  I have fond memories of Cheeseburgers and Fries and how special they were to us.  So when I make homemade burgers now I will sometimes remember what a real Cheeseburger should taste like and I enjoy every bite of it !  Kids now days think a burger should be nothing but meat, pickles and maybe a little ketchup.....that's it !  Yuk !!  Poor things, they have no clue as to what a real Cheeseburger should even taste like.  Oh well..you live and learn I guess ! I told ya when I first started this blog that I am just a cook and you won't find a lot of gormet recipes on here.  Just like my Cheeseburger tonight...LOL

I also made a Fudge Swirled Peanut Butter Pie too. I had to make a quick trip to the store before I made my pie though.  I thought I had everything I needed to make the pie and was ready to get going on making the pie.  But when I pulled out the jar of Peanut Butter, all I had was an empty peanut butter jar!  My sweet little daughter loves to eat just peanut butter by itself and the last time they were here we were playing cards and Missy was eating peanut butter by the spoon full right out of the jar and the stinker put them empty jar back up in the cabinet !  Kids...they never change...LOL But I finally got started and  Mercy me !  That thing is so rich, it'll make you slap your Pappy!  That is if you are brave enough to slap your Pappy, I always knew better especially if I didn'd want to draw back a nub where my Daddy would jerk my arm off just for attempting to slap him...LOL.  A lot of recipes for this type of pie have a graham cracker or cookie crust, but we like that plain old fashioned pie crusts, so that is what I made my pie with.  This is one of those types of pies that "just a little dab, will do ya"!  You cannot eat a large piece of this pie because if you do, it may send you to another planet, because it is so rich.  As usual, I changed up the recipe a little bit.  Why can't I just leave things alone?  I always seem to change something up on my recipes.  Anyway, before I put my filling in my pie crust, I made a fudge type sauce and lined the bottom of the crust with it and then put my filling on top.  I suppose you could then pile on the Cool Whip/Whipped Cream all over the top of the pie, but I preferred to just add the whipped cream on each slice as it is served with a cherry on top !  No matter how you serve it, the pie is still good! 

Well, I guess I should scoot and take my bath, then I can get horizontal on the couch and start checking my eyelids for holes.  In other words, wont' be long before I hit the sack.  We have a wedding to go to tomorrow afternoon, so it will be a long day.  I do hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy every moment of it !

Muahhhhhhhhhhhh ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment