Coconut & Chocolate Pies

Coconut & Chocolate Pies
Made w/Double Filling & Mile High Meringue

Friday, October 8, 2010

October 8, 2010

Good Morning Yall !

Well, I guess it is actually almost actually noon, but as they say...I'm always a day late and a dollar short! Oh well, I'll get there.  I hope everyone is having a great day.  We are still having great weather here, and I sure hope it continues. The mornings and evenings have been cool and the temperature during the day is in the low 80's !  Can't ask for anything better.

We really enjoyed our Cuban Beans last night over rice with Smoked Sausage.  I don't know what it is about those Cuban Beans, but they take on a completely new flavor with all of those seasonings.  I can remember as a kid, the aroma coming out of my Aunt Shirley's kitchen when she cooked those beans !  It would starve you to death, waiting on them to get done.  To me, beans taste so much better the next day.  I guess that's because they soak up all those good seasonings. In fact, I haven't decided yet what we are having for supper, so who knows....we may eat leftovers and enjoy those beans one more time...lol.  Like, I've told you all before, I usually cook enough at one time that we always seem to have something leftover.  And it's a good thing we don't mind them either, because they always seem to be around. 

We are going to Iowa this month for my step daughters wedding and I've already got all my decorating supplies out and ready to go.  I promised the grandaughters that we sould do some cake decorating while we are there, and they are looking forward to it.  I think we may even make Cupcakes On A Stick.  Have any of you ever tried those? Well, this will be my first attempt at it, but they don't look to hard to make, so I'm going to give it a shot.  If anyone has ever made these and have any tips about making them, I'd love to hear them.  I also have a recipe for Cupcakes in An Ice Cream Cone, and we may try those also.  Whatever we decide to do, it doesn't matter, I'm sure the girls will enjoy doing any of them.  I love experiementing with new recipes, so this will be fun for all of us. 

I'm sure all of you are realizing just like I am that the holidays are on their way and soon ! I think Christmas is my very favorite time of the year.  With all of the sights, sounds and smells, it doesn't get any better !  Beginning after Halloween I usually start doing a lot of my baking etc.  I try to make things then that I know will freeze well.  I make a lot of cookies, brownines, cookie bars, candy etc.  Usually all types of these things really freeze well, so I get after it.  That way I have an assortment of all kinds of goodies and I'm not rushing to get all the different ones I want to try out of the way.  Something else I really like to do is make up some gift boxes of a bunch of different goodies and give them as gifts.  I have yet to have anyone complain about getting one of those gift boxes!  When you put these goodie boxes together, you don't have to put a whole lot of any one kind of treat in there.  In fact, I usually include about 6-8 type of a prticular cookie in there.  I never put a whole dozen of anything in the boxes.  Just a little of each kind and they get an assortment of all kinds of treats.  So, if you make a dozen of cookies, you can usually make at least 3-4 goodie boxes.  Then I just keep making goodies and put 1/2 dozen or so in the boxes.  I always try to include an assortment of things, such as cookies, candy, cookie bars, brownies etc.  I line my boxes with tissue paper, then put waxed paper on top of that and start arranging them so they look good. Remember though, if you intend to wrap these boxes as gifts, be careful how you do it.  Because if you turn the box over to wrap with wrapping paper, they will all fall together and get all scrambled up in the box.  I've found out that there are so many pretty Christmas gift boxes out there, that you only need to put a bow on them and then you are set ! Of course you can always put your goodies in the pretty little "tins" (not really made of tin so don't know why they still call them tins..lol) and put a bow on them and you are ready to go with a gift that everyone loves. 

So, since the holidays are almost here, what I would like to do is start sharing our recipes for these kind of goodies.  Gosh, there are so many recipes out there for this type of stuff, we could end up with gobs of recipes!  If you have a particular recipe that is special and you only make it at the holidays, please share with us.  I think swapping recipes is one of my favorite things to do!  And like I've told yall before, I'm not one of those cooks that keeps my recipes a secret!  I love to share them with others, so you will probably see a lot of my recipes come your way!  I look foward to receiving some really special recipes from all of you. 

One other thing that I would like to see happen on here is, when any of you make a special dish or even just an everyday meal, if you would start taking a picture of it then share that picture and recipe both on here, that would be great!  Now that we have digital cameras and don't have to have our pictures developed anymore, it is so easy to post pictures.  When I first started taking pictures of some of my food, I really felt odd doing that, but so many people would not only ask me for a recipe but when they made their dish from that recipe, they would ask..."does mine even look like yours?"  So, not only did I start taking pictures of some of the decorated cakes I made, but of my regular everyday meal.  So, when I would tell anyone about something I made, they could actually see what it looked like.  Now, I'm here to tell you !!  I know for a fact when we look at cookbooks, magazines etc., our food NEVER looks like it does in the book ! LOL.  But close enough for me.  As long as it tastes good, that is what Im concerned about. 

Well, guess I had better close for now, but when I decide what's for supper, I'll let you know !  Oh...by the way, be sure and check out the two new recipes of the day.  The Creamy Baked Chicken is really good and who can resist a Peanut Butter Pie??  Not me !!  Have a great day and a wonderful weekend, my friends!  And...."Happy Eating" !!

Muahhhhhhhhhh ♥

Peach Cobbler

No comments:

Post a Comment