Coconut & Chocolate Pies

Coconut & Chocolate Pies
Made w/Double Filling & Mile High Meringue

Thursday, October 21, 2010

October 21, 2010

Good Morning !

Let me begin for not posting yesterday, but we were busy getting last minute things done before we leave on our trip.  I was on the run from the time I hit the floor yesterday.  We went to Shreveport to pick up Angie's wedding gift, then headed back to Carthage.  I'm telling yall one thing....there is a reason I don't live in a big city anymore with all that dadgum traffic! I lived in the Houston area pretty much all of my adult life and I guess I just was adjusted to all the traffic and people.  But after I moved to this small, warm and fuzzy town we call Carthage, I nearly break out in hives when I have to drive in those big cities.  You also get spoiled to the fact you don't have to drive for an hour to get anywhere.  When I need to go to the grocery store, Walmart etc., it takes me five minutes or less to get there.  But in these big cities it takes you an hour sometimes just to get out of your subdivision.  No Thank You !!  I don't want to live in that again. 

Peyton spent the night with us night before last.  He said he wanted to stay here with me since we were going to be out of town for a week.  Of course Peyton never has to have a reason or excuse to come here, this is pretty much his second home and has been since he was born.  This week has been not only busy but odd for me too.  As you all know, I cook everyday and when I don't I feel guilty!  But since we had so many leftovers and sure didn't want to make any more  leftovers (and I do that a lot because I cook way too much), we have nibbled on some leftovers and had breakfast for supper.  I knew we would be gone for a week and didn't want to leave the fridge full of leftovers.  I usually end up freezing some leftovers if we don't eat them or we get tired of them before they are gone.  I hate to waste food so I try my best to freeze what I can.  I also keep a plastic container, like tupperware, in my freezer and when I have any veggies left over, even if it is only maybe a cup full, I throw it all in this plastic container.  Then when I want to make homemade Vegetable Soup, pretty much all my veggies are there.  During the cold months there is nothing better than a big old bowl of Homemade Vegetable Soup, Chicken & Dumplins', Beef Stew or Chili. Make a pan of cornbread or biscuits to go with it and it hits the spot every time ! 

I have been gathering up some recipes that I want to take with me to Iowa. As I've told yall, we are staying the week after the wedding with Angies kids while they are on their honeymoon and all three of the kids have put in their requests for different things they want me to make.  So rather than drag all my cookbooks with me, I have just emailed the receipes to myself and when I get there all I have to do is go to my emails and there are the recipes! I don't actually follow recipes most of the time, they are all pretty much stuck in my head, but as you know when it comes to baking, you can't do that.  If you don't have your measurments right in baking it will be a failure !  I have even packed some of my cake decorating tips, bags and supplies because the girls want to make some things like cupcakes and cookies and decorate them.  We will be having lunch with Clarissa (who is 8 yrs old) one day while we are there and I am going to make her class of 25 some Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes.  I thought the kids would get a kick out of that rather than plain cupcakes or cookies.  When I was doing some of my packing Fred was looking at me like I had 3 heads and asked why I was taking even cupcake pans etc.  Like I told him, I'm sure Angie will have cupcake pans, but not sure if she would have the Mini Cupcake Pans, and I needed those to make the Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes!  Oh well, like I say, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

Well, I suppose I should close this now and get to the last minute details around here before we leave this afternoon.  We will be leaving around 4 p.m. so at least I'll have a little time to get ready.  We will be driving straight through to Iowa which is about a 14-16 hour trip ! Yikes !! We've driven straight through before and when we got there we were like Zombies, so I'm sure it will be the same way this time.  We should arrive in Ames sometime Friday morning.  Then we start running! We have to pick up Fred's tux and have him fitted and hoping that it won't need to be altered.  Then on to the hotel to check in and get dressed to be at the rehersal at 5 p.m., then rehersal dinner.  The wedding is being held in a huge hotel there in Ames and the family and wedding party will be staying at the hotel Friday and Saturday night.  So we all will be in high gear until the wedding is over.  Oh...something else I forgot to tell yall before I close.  As you know every wedding has it's hiccups along the way, some minor, some major.  Well Angie's Mom has had an issue with the shop where she bought her dress for the wedding.  She said they ruined her dress trying to make and attach some sort of little jacket to it and they are refusing to fix the problem! So when she arrives in Ames today they will be on a mission to find her a new dress...2 days before the wedding!  Then last night as Angie was unloading the dishwasher after supper, a metal travel mug fell out of the cabinet and hit her directly on her head next to her eye!  Knocked her out for a few seconds, then dizzy and had a huge goose egg right next to her eye !  It did not break the skin but she had one heck of a knot! They took her to the ER and the doctor said she didn't have any fractures or the skin wasn't split open, but because she was knocked out and was being dizzy etc., he felt sure she had at least a small concussion !  The knot is down to a silver dollar size this morning, but we are sure she will have some sort of black eye.  Thank Goodness for makeup !!  I told her that we make memories everyday of our lives and especially when we have events such as weddings.  But this is one memory of her wedding she could have done without !!  So let's pray we don't have any more problems !

Well, as I said I need to get started around here.  I may not be posting much at all this week while we are gone, but just know I'm thinking about yall.  I will be talking to you all when we get back and I'm sure I'll have all sorts of pictures to share with yall.  Have a great day and "Happy Eating" !

Muahhhhhhhh 3

Chocolate Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment