Coconut & Chocolate Pies

Coconut & Chocolate Pies
Made w/Double Filling & Mile High Meringue

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

November 3, 2010

Hey Yall !!

I'm back.....Yeahhhhhhh !!  It was a beautiful wedding, just like something out of a story book. Angie was abosolutely gorgeous in her gown, she looked like one of those brides out of the bridal magazines.  Everything was perfect for her, from the top of her head to her tiny feet.  The wedding was so beautiful and elegant.  The ceremony was awesome and it was so sweet, they included her three children in the ceremony and they were also some of her attendants, bridemaid's and groomsmen.  They did something that I have never seen before.  They had what was called a "Lantern Lighting".  There was one large lantern that represented Angie & Ryan, then each child lit a lantern of their own off of Angie and Ryan's lantern...so very pretty.  They wrote their own vows and by the time they were through reading their vows, I don't think there was a dry eye in the house !  Poor little Angie is a very emotional young woman anyway, but the entire day of the wedding, the poor thing was crying all the time.  While she and all of her attendants were in her suite getting ready for the wedding, her Daddy and I gave her two long stemmed white roses.  The minute she saw her Daddy walk in with the flowers, she started crying again all the while trying not to mess her makeup up.  But I think that makeup artist must have had some sort of majic potion in that makeup because it didn't move even through all of the tears !  After the beautiful wedding ceremony they had a "Social/Cocktail Hour" with an open bar and all sorts of  Hors d'oeuvres/ Appetizers.  Then it was time for the sit down dinner and reception.  It was decorated so beautiful !  Every table and every center piece was breath taking along with Gold Charger Plates and Burgandy napkins.  One thing that I thought was so neat was when it was time to be served the meal, the head table was up on a platform above ther rest of the tables, there were waiters and waitresses that marched out in unison, each person at the head table had their own server stand behind them.  Then in unison, they all removed the silver domed covered plates and placed them in front of that person.  This was done with such precision, it was a "Wow" moment for sure !  The entire room was decorated in Gold and Fall colors, just gorgeous !  I could go on forever to try and describe this wedding, but it would take forever so just take my word that it was gorgeous and I will post pictures.

We stayed the week after the wedding with Angies three children until they left to join Angie and Ryan in Hawaii for their honeymoon,  then left on Saturday to return home.  The kids were really good and we so enjoyed getting to spend time with them.  Since they live in Iowa and we live in Texas we just don't get to spend as much time with them as we would like to.  Needless to say, I did a whole lot of cooking while I was there !  Not only did I prepare meals for them each day, I made a lot of "goodies" for them and for Angie and Ryan as well.  I just made some goodies and put them in the freezer for them to enjoy when they returned from their honeymoon.  The kiddos loved everything I made, so that was good news for me.  Not only did I feed the three kids, I also ended up feeding a lot of their friends too !  They all just "happened" to stop by when it got supper time ! LOL.  One day Fred and I went to have lunch with Clarissa at her school, she's in the third grade.  She was so excited.  I made her class some Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes.  They looked just like a regular ice cream cone with sprinkles on top.  The kids, teachers and principal got a kick out of those. 

It was a beautiful wedding and we really enjoyed spending time with the kids, but I have to admit, we were happy to get back home.  That trip is right at 900 miles one way, so by the time we made that trip up there and home, we were beat to say the least !  We stopped in Carthage, Missouri (yes..we live in Carthage, Texas and there is also a Carthage, Tenn. too ) to see the Precious Moments Chapel and Museum !  That place is breath taking and will give you chill bumps just to walk through there, it was amazing !  If you ever have the opportunity to go there, please do !  You won't regret it !  So after all this traveling, cooking and running while we were there, we were so ready to get home to our own humble surroundings !! 

It felt so good to get home and cook in my own kitchen.  We got home at 2 a.m. on Sunday morning and we were exhausted so I cheated Sunday night and we went and bought chicken...shame on me ! LOL.   Tonight I made what is called "Chicken & Stuff".  There was a restaurant here at one time that served this, although I had made it myself too before eating there.  I never really had a name for this but when we ate at the restuarant they called it "Chicken & Stuff", so that is when I started calling my dish the same thing.  It is grilled seasoned chicken breast that is topped with melted cheese, grilled onions and bell peppers. It is a really good way to change up the normal old chicken breasts.  We love the chicken made this way, of course I think I could put cheese on anything at all and Fred would eat it !  I made baked potatoes with the works and a pasta salad.  It wasa really good ! 

So has everyone started thinking about their menu for Thanksgiving?  For years I never really made a menu for Thanksgiving, I just made the traditional Turkey and Dressing and started making side dishes with all sorts of goodies such as pies, cakes, cookies, truffles  goodies etc.  But since all of my kids are grown now with families of their own and two of my kids live out of town, I try to make some sort of menu so that they can decide what they would like to bring and we don't end up with 6 bowls of mashed potatoes ! LOL  There are some things around here though that the kids love and expect !  That is of course the Turkey  & Dressing, "My" Green Beans as the kids call them, Baked Corn, Mashed Potatoes and Rolls.  Other than these things, I just start cooking and ending up with several side dishes along with numerous desserts and goodies.  I usually start about a week before Thanksgiving making some of these desserts and goodies and freeze them.  Then that way the day before or the day of Thanksgiving a lot of those things are already made and I just have to make my desserts such as my Meringue Pies etc. that cannot be frozen and it leaves time for me to concentrate on our main meal. 

I would love to hear from all of Yall about your Thanksgiving meal and what you prepare as well as sharing recipes with others here on the blog.  If you have recipes you would like to share, I will be happy to post them.  Trading recipes is one of my favorite things to do.  I love the holidays with all the good food, but more than the cooking, I love the time we have with each other during this time.  All the sights and sounds of the holidays are something that I treasure more and more as I get older.  Although there is always a lot of confusion and cahos during this time, I love it !  I have a very small kitchen and have very little counter space to use for my cooking and I end up having food, desserts and goodies in every corner you can see and some you can't see.  And although I have very little space in my kitchen, that seems to be the place all the kids and grandbabies want to gather and talk and visit ! LOL  So, needless to say I'm dodging people while I'm trying to cook and trying to make sure I don't step on a little one that is playing under my feet.  But I would NOT have it any other way !  I love having all my babies and grandbabies here for the holidays.  One year when I was still working, I was still making pies and cakes out of my home.  That particular year I made  43 pies for Thanksgiving !  Yep, that's right...43 of those bad boys and that didn't include the cakes I made as well.  So while making all of these things, I still was cooking my Thanksgiving meal for my family.....Whewwwwwwww !  What a time that was ! LOL. 

So please start sharing your yummy recipes with the rest of us.  Let's get this ball rolling for the holidays that will soon be here.  As I've said before I'm still learning how to use this site and hopefully I can figure out how to make an archive of redipes.  I am posting "Recipes of the Day", but change them daily, so I'd like to save these in case someone misses  recipe for a particular day.  I'll get it figured out....some way, somehow...I'll do it ! 

Again, it is so good to be back home and I just wanted to say that I really did miss yall while I was gone.  I know I just started this blog, but I am really enjoying it and look forward to seeing your comments.  I do hope you have a great day and I'm looking so forward to seeing all of your recipes !  Below you will find a few of the things I made while I was in Iowa.  Also there is a picture of the "Chicken & Stuff" !  "Happy Eating" my friends.

                                          Chicken & Stuff
                                          Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
                                          Peanut Butter Pie..The sauce began to run so I said to heck with it !
                                          German Chocolate Pie
                                          The kiddos Aloha Cake before heading to Hawaii
                                          Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies


                                          Coconut Pie..This isn't the actual one I made while I was 
                                           there, somehow I lost that pic, but it looked the same as 
                                           this one.  


                                          Grooms Cake
                                          Wedding Cake
Servers getting ready to serve the Head Table
 

2 comments:

  1. I can testify to having one of Carols "Mile High Pies"...she needs to call one of her pies that!!My mouth is watering as I am writing this..
    Glad to have you back sweet friend. I would love to have your baked corn dish...We make one..but it is so close to the dressing that we have stopped making it for the last few years...A tradition handed down from my mother was pickled beets for the holidays...That is the only time we have them..My daughter picked up that torch and has carried it forward...Miles of smiles...From my heart to yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaawwww Thanks so much Gail. Your comments are always so sweet and from the heart. I'm so glad you liked your Coconut Pie ! I have to admit that seems to be the favorite pie for people to order. I am so glad to be back too! As you know, it's always so nice to go and visit but even nicer to get back home too. I will be happy to send you my Baked Corn Casserole recipe. I hope yall enjoy it ! The recipe is below this comment.

    Love ya Darlin !


    Mama's Baked Corn

    2 Cans whole kernel corn, drained
    1 Can creamed style corn
    1 Medium onion, diced
    2 Ribs of Celery diced
    1 Medium Bell Pepper diced
    1/2 Cup sugar
    1 Tbls. seasoning salt
    1 Tbls. garlic powder
    1 Tsp. baking powder
    2 Eggs, slightly beaten
    1/3 Cup flour
    2 Cups shredded cheese

    Put all of the corn in a 9x13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Saute celery, bell pepper and onions until tender and transparent, and add to corn. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with more shredded cheese and return to oven to melt

    ReplyDelete