Coconut & Chocolate Pies

Coconut & Chocolate Pies
Made w/Double Filling & Mile High Meringue

Sunday, October 17, 2010

October 17, 2010

Hey Yall !

Can you believe the weekend is already over?  I don't even work outside the home anymore but I still know when the weekend comes.  My entire weekend was a busy one to say the least.  Peyton spent the night with me Friday night and that's always fun for the both of us.  But it was especially a good weekend for him.  The kids at his school had a fund raiser and sold cookie dough.  The school put all their names in a drawing for prizes.  That little stinker had his name drawn and won $100.00 !!  We were all suprised and shocked but he was especially surprised.  He said he didn't even know they had a drawing, so this was special for him.  I couldn't believe it too that they gave him $100.00 in cash!  I figured they would give them some sort of gift card or something similar.  Nope...Cash !  So, needless to say when he got home from school Friday, that money was burning a hole in his pocket !  He talked his Mama into taking him to Walmart so he could buy that little Ipod Shuffle thingy.  You can tell I don't know much about that sort of thing, if I'm calling it a thingy...LOL. 

Saturday was a good day for me and Missy.  Peyton spent the day with a friend of his so Missy and I headed out to do a little shopping, but mostly just spending time together.  It has been a long time since she and I were by ourselves just hanging out.  We normally have at least one or two people with us.  I really enjoyed the day with some quality time with my baby girl.  I needed to find my jewelry for Angie's wedding so we were on a mission!  We did find the jewelry and it is so pretty.  We then went to Walmart so I could buy supplies to make another one of my cookbooks.  Then on to Target for Missy to buy what she needed for Peyton's birthday party on Sunday, today.  We then had lunch at Cheddars.  In a nut shell, it was just a great day for the two of us. 

OK...as I've told many of you before a lot of things I have learned about cooking was simply trials and errors.  Everything that I cook doesn't always turn out well.  I am talking about today, in fact.  Years ago I started making my version of  "KFC" chicken.  I got the seasonings for it down to being pretty close and realized their "original recipe" was made in pressure cookers. Have any of you cooked anything in a pressure cooker?  Not too many people still do that.   So, I tried it and most of the time it has turned out good.  Well....not today !  I did everything I normally do when I cook it, but I got busy and distracted and when I checked on the chicken, I had cooked it wayyyyyyy too long !  I cooked it to the point in that pressure cooker that it literally fell off of the bone when I tried to pick it up with tongs.  One thing about it, no one could say it wasn't tender ! LOL.  Fred said..."this chicken may not look too good, but it tastes great" !  So, I guess that is all that matters.  But on a positive note about supper, I made Buttered New Potatoes and Navy Beans and they were pretty good. Speaking of those potatoes, years ago I found out that if you added a couple of tablespoons of vinegar to the water you cook your potatoes in, it not only gives the potatoes a great taste, but also keeps your potatoes from coming apart while cooking.  Just a tip I thought I would share with you.  

I got three more orders today for some of my cookbooks.  I won't be able to start on these until probably after the first of the year (maybe sooner, just not sure), but when I do start on those, I will be one busy lady !  Everyone that I had made these before for loved them, but I want to keep reminding people, this is NOT a professional cookbook !  So, don't expect a hard coverd fancy book...LOL.  But the cookbooks have a personal touch to them.  In the cookbooks I have included a lot of my "own" recipes as well as recipes I've collected over the years or recipes that others have shared with me personally.  I'm sure that over the years you have been to some sort of function or to someone's house for supper and they prepared a dish that you loved !  Only to find out, they don't really have a recipe for it.  That is when you usually ask the person to tell you how they fixed it.  To me, sometimes those are the best kind of recipes !  So, I've also included some of those types of recipes as well.  If any of you would like to order one of these cookbooks, please just let me know and I'll certainly put you on my list !  

Well, Angie's wedding is almost here !  This is Fred's daughter that lives in Iowa.  It seems like the wedding has been in the planning stage forever in one way but on the other hand, it seems like they just got engaged!  I'm sure this wedding will be breath taking to say the least.  From whatever I've been told to what I personally have been involved with, it seems this will be a big, beautiful, and romantic wedding.  Fred and I are staying the week after the wedding to stay with Angie's kids while they are on their first week of their honeymoon to Hawaii.  Then on the 2nd week of their honeymoon the kids will be flying out to join them for  another week in Hawaii.  So, as soon as we get the kids off to Hawaii, then we will head back to good ole' East Texas !  We are looking forward to spending some time with the kids.  They live so far away from us, we just don't get to spend as much time with them as we would like to.  Each one of the three kids have put in their request as to what they would like for me to cook while we are there....go figure ! LOL  I told them that we would sit down and make out a menu for the week, that way each one of them can have their input as to what to have for meals.  Angie and Ryan have also put in some requests for some goodies that I can make and put in the freezer for them to enjoy when they return from the honeymoon.  So, having said all of this about the wedding, I just wanted to remind yall that I probably won't be online and get to post as much as I would like to while we are in Iowa for a week.  I'll do my best to post, but from the way it sounds, I'm gonna be a little tied up for awhile! LOL  

Well, guess I had better scoot for now, but I do hope you all have a great week.  Yall have no idea how it does my heart good just to know how much Yall are enjoying reading this blog as well as acquire a few recipes along the way !
"Happy Eating"

Muahhhhhhhhh ♥

Caramel  Apple  Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment