Coconut & Chocolate Pies

Coconut & Chocolate Pies
Made w/Double Filling & Mile High Meringue

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

February 22, 2011

Hey Yall !!

Long time no see....HUH?? LOL  It has been awhile since I've blogged so I'm going to do my best and give this another shot.  I had stopped blogging mainly because even though I blogged daily, I wasn't having any "followers" as they call them (people who read the blog).  When you set up a blog here it has graphs showing how many followers you have and how often your blog is being read.  When the count fell and I wasn't having but an occasional follower or no one at all, it led me to believe that no one was interested in the blog any longer so I began to think that maybe the blog had become boring and maybe I wasn't making it useful to everyone.  Not only was it fun for me to do but I was hoping that in the blogs people would find recipes, tips and information that they enjoyed reading and they could use in their own kitchen.  So, I'm going to do my very best to make this blog fun and more useful for everyone !  I truly love the fact that I can share some of my recipes with Yall and along the way we can all have fun and share a smile.  I have asked everyone in the past if they would like to share their recipes too, I would love to have them posted on this blog.  So if you have a recipe that you would like to share, please do !  I'm sure I've told Yall this before, so please forgive me for repeating myself here but I do want you all to know one thing about the type of cook I am.  I've always loved to cook but even more than that, I love to see others enjoy what I'm cooking, that is the best part of cooking as far as I'm concerned.  Why cook if no one enjoys eating it ?  So, when I prepare a dish for others and I see that it puts a smile on their face or even brings someone to say......"Ohhhhhhh this is sooooooo good", it is all worthwhile.  Also, I have never been the sort of cook that keeps her recipes a secret.  I really love to share my recipes and if someone eats and enjoys something I've made and then asks for the recipe then that is certainly a compliment to me !  So, if you are looking for a recipe that you think that I might have, please feel free to ask me for it.  I will be more  than happy to share it with you.  I've been so fortunate over the years to have friends and family that would share their recipes with me.  Had it not been for others in my life, I would not have a lot of the recipes I do have.  I've also collected recipes over the years from various cookbooks, magazines, the internet and word of mouth.  It's so much fun to see so many variations in recipes that are supposedly for the same dish !  In fact, I've seen recipes that have the very same ingredients but when different ones make this dish, they can taste completely different !  I think that is because we all tend to add our own little touch to a recipe.  Some of us may like a little more or a little less of a particular spice or ingredient, so we adjust our recipes accordingly.  So the end result turns out to possibly being completely different than someone else's, even when the recipe itself all have the same ingredients.  I am certainly one of those people that thinks, make it like YOU like it !  Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, so make what you enjoy .  I really don't think it is written in stone somewhere that you HAVE to make recipes a certain way or you will be prosecuted !! LOL  So enjoy cooking and certainly enjoy eating it ! 

OK.....before I start really talking about food here I need to tell Yall something.  First of all, as I've said I'm going to do my best to get this blog going again, but........we are moving this weekend and I may not be blogging daily for awhile.  As you all know moving is a job to say the least especially when you are like myself and have trouble getting rid of "stuff" !  I tend to hang on to things thinking I might need it one day or maybe someone else will.  Of course there are things too that we might only use one time a year, such as the holidays , but when we need it......we need it !  And yeah......yeah......I know if my kids are reading this they will tell you that I use that for an excuse for not getting rid of things..LOL.  We are really excited about moving but we are NOT excited about the actual moving part.  Again.....it is WORK !  We are though so looking forward to finally getting to move to the country...Yeahhh !!  We already live in what some call a small town, but we have been living "in town" which means the houses are right next to each other and we have to deal with the town traffic.  Now my daughter in law, Tammy thinks that statement is a hoot because they live close to Houston and our town traffic is nothing compared to what they deal with.  But for us that live in a small town, it is an issue for us since we like the laid back type of life.  So, we are moving to the country and enjoy the country life and love it !  We will have a larger area for our garden and of course that itself can become an issue too if it gets too big.  But at least we have the option to enlarging it if we want to, and if I leave it up to my husband it will be larger !  But hey.......that's OK too, we love the fresh veggies and also love canning and freezing them too.  Gosh...they sure taste good during the winter months when you can't seem to get fresh veggies.  Believe it or not, we are also going to get a few chickens for some fresh eggs and my hubby also wants to start raising a few rabbits again, like he did growing up with his Dad.  Now.......Yall don't think that I'm a "real" country girl as far as knowing how to raise these critters, because I don't know how ! LOL  But, I'm willing to learn and help him so we will see how that little project goes....LOL  I am looking forward though to those fresh eggs for my cooking......Yum-O !  Anyway, until we get the move over with and they finally get my internet going I may not be blogging everyday but just remember if you don't hear from me for awhile, just know I"ll be back !! 

Well Folks, I don't about Yall but we LOVE Pork Roast !  In fact, I think that a pork roast has much more flavor than a beef roast.  When I make my roasts, beef or pork, I always make sure that I cook them long enough that they are fork tender.  I hate tough meat !!  I had just as soon have a piece of fried bologna than a tough piece of meat.  I'm sure you all have your own special way of cooking your roasts but I will share with you what I do and I haven't had any complaints on it yet..LOL.  Below I will also share not only the recipe with you but a picture of the last roast I made with veggies.......sooooo good !



I use this recipe for both pork and beef roasts.

Rub the roast on all sides well with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Roll the roast in seasoned flour, seasoned with again.......salt, pepper and garlic powder, making sure you coat the roast well on all sides with the seasoned flour.  Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet.  Add the roast to the hot oil and brown on all sides well.  Remove the browned roast and put it into a large roaster pan.  Slice two whole onions and place them on top and around the roast.  Slice one whole bell pepper into slices and and place them on top of the roast with the onions.  Add enough water to the roaster pan to cover about half of the roast in the water.  Bake the roast on    350 degrees for about one hour.  Check the roast to make sure that you still have enough liquid covering half of the roast. Return the roast to the oven and bake until fork tender.  At this time, add peeled small baby carrots and bake another 30 minutes. Remember.....the carrots should be added about 30 minutes before your potatoes, because they take longer to get tender.  Peel and quarter about 6-8 potatoes and add to liquid along with the carrots. Continue cooking until the carrots and potatoes are tender.  Then to thicken your gravy around your roast, dissolve 3-4 tablespoons of cornstarch in a small amount of water to blend well.  Slowly stir cornstarch liquid into the hot roast liquid until thickened.  

I really like to cook my veggies in and around the roast in the roast gravy, it gives the veggies so much flavor.  Instead of the cornstarch mixture for thickening you can also substitute it with the Pioneer Brown Gravy Mix.  This also makes a really nice brown gravy for the roast.  OK......Yall !  That is how I do it !  Very simple and so good.  There is nothing like a homemade pot roast.  If you try this recipe, please let me know how it works for you and how you like it.  

I also want to share a picture with you of some Valentine Cupcakes I made.  I always love decorating Cupcakes so this was so much fun.  As most of you know, Cupcakes have become very popular and they are now not only making all sorts of decorations for them, but they are also selling the really cute Cupcake Boxes to put them in.  I found these really cute Valentine Cupcake Boxes at Michales Craft Store and at the Dollar Tree.  They really make such a nice presentation for the Cupcakes and everyone feels so special because they have their very own packaged and decorated Cupcake !  A really nice little gift.  





OK.......with that I'll close this for now.  But I am soooooooo glad to be back and hope that you have enjoyed today's blog and the "Recipes of the Day".  Be sure to check back to check out the blog and see what new recipes I've posted.  Again, if you have any recipes or tips etc. you would like to share with us, please do so, I look forward to that !  Have a great day, my friends and cook something good !

Love ya,
Carol 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment